NPDES MS4 Permit

Only Rain

The Village of Mt. Zion filed a storm water permit application with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency. The permit is required under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Program.


There are several requirements associated with the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4) Permit. These include:

1. Develop a storm water management program comprised of best management practices (BMPs) and measurable goals for each of the following six minimum control measures:

  • Public education and outreach on storm water impacts
  • Public involvement and participation
  • Illicit discharge detection and elimination
  • Construction site stormwater runoff control
  • Post construction storm water management in new development and redevelopment
  • Pollution prevention/good housekeeping for municipal operations

2. Submit a completed Notice of Intent. Operators can choose to share responsibilities for meeting the Phase II program requirements. Those entities choosing to do so may submit jointly with other municipalities or governmental entities.

3. Submit an annual report to IEPA in June of each year starting in 2004. The reports must include:

  • The status of compliance with the permit conditions, including an assessment of the BMPs and progress toward the measurable goals;
  • Results of any information collected and analyzed, including monitoring data;
  • A summary of the storm water activities planned for the next reporting cycle;
  • A change in any identified best management practices or measurable goals; and
  • If applicable, notice of relying on another governmental entity to satisfy some of the permit obligations.

Contact Info

Julie Miller
Village Administrator
1400 Mt. Zion Parkway
(217) 864-5424

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a Land Disturbance Permit?

There are two factors that determine whether you will need to obtain a Land Disturance Permit:

1) Are you disturbing one (1) or more acres of land?

2) Are you building a new home or business?

If you answered yes to either question above, then you will need to obtain a Land Disturbance Permit from the Village of Mt. Zion.

How do I obtain a Land Disturbance Permit?

A Land Disturbance Permit can be obtained through the building permit application process.